Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Ultimate Relaxer

I watched Murphy's Romance twice today. Once was an actual viewing, the second was for background noise as I worked on my website. I am going to go out on a limb here, and say that this may just be in the running to remove Day of the Dead from the top spot on my all time favorite list. I've seen it innumerable times, know every knook and cranny of its running time, and can feel my tensions melt away whenever the opening credits (that sunrise accompanied by Carole King's high hat beat...mmm) begin. I suppose most folks use music to relax. I use movies that I know and love. I put movies on when I'm cleaning the house, working on computer junk, sorting laundry, etc. This is also one of the few movies in my library that I choose to fall asleep to. Not because it's boring, but cuz it warms me, calms me and leaves me with a smile as I drift off to dreamland. The ones I choose are the ones I don't have to watch to know exactly what's happening. Murphy's Romance is definitely one of them. I can't really explain to you why it means so much to me. Of course, there's the heart-warming super romantic love story, incredible chemistry between Sally Field and James Garner, the amazing score and songs by Carole King (there's no damn soundtrack; give me a break!), the supporting actors (Corey Haim and the soon to be added to my hot tub list; Brian Kerwin), the excellent portrayal of small town life (which without fail, each time, makes me long for my growing up years in a small country farm town and the "simple life" that entails) and that final moment when Murphy tells Emma how old he really is. I just truly and with all I am, adore this film. I'm sure most would watch this, enjoy it, but remember nothing past one viewing. Does anyone else have a movie like this? That means sooo very much to them? The best moments in this film of pure magic and joy are; the "stay to dinner" montage (specifically Murphy's response to the "chili" offer), Brian Kerwin's naked butt, the dance-off, the obvious locals playing locals in the town scenes, Dennis Burkley's face when Murphy opens his gift and insults it, the long, longing looks between Murphy and Emma, that kiss in the drug store, the old man getting a ride outside of town, the hospital walk, "I am if you're insured", the "pissing contest". For crying out loud, I could go on forever. Just let me gush with some thanks to the entire cast and crew on this film. You've provided a pill for me, that doesn't leave me groggy, doesn't make me moody and doesn't give me dry mouth. It simply provides a beautiful bliss that I can repeat whenever I need to chill, or whenever I need to load the dishwasher. You're all there for me. So, from the bottom of my heart; thank you.

"Down the road, one more time." (the first lyrics in the opening credits)

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!