Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Give Florida a Hug!

I've become quite a fan of Good Times in the past year or so. I don't kill myself to catch an episode; but it plays often enough on a few different channels; that, well; it's hard to miss. I've never seen but have always wanted to see the episode when Florida finds out about her husband's death. Just tonight, I did see the follow up episode; when the family has a luncheon @ their home following James' funeral. Florida makes light of the whole thing; citing tradition. "Celebrate the life; don't mourn the death". All of the children are confused and upset; cuz Florida didn't even cry at the funeral. Now, she's laughing it up w/ the folks in their home. At the end of the episode; Florida starts to clean up after the party. The kids try to help out, but she refuses their assistance. They retreat to their room. Florida continues her cleaning; moving a punch bowl from the table. She stops mid-movement and slams the bowl to the floor. It shatters. She screams, "Damn, damn, damn!" and moves her hands to her face. I immediately got goosebumps. Powerful, real and absolutely heartbreaking. Esther Rolle sells it so thoroughly. I knew there would be an eventual breakdown. Who knew it would be that tragic and moving? The kids run to embrace her and the episode ends in a family group hug. Wow!

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!