Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

"French Toast" Days Four & Five

My indication that I've waited to long to update on these two final shooting days? I'm consulting my camera log to figure out what the hell happened on days four and five. Oy.

I do recall that Clare and I took her vehicle (Suzie Q; French Toast Mobile was not enlisted for a second weekend) to the location early in the morning on Saturday the 24th of March (almost a month ago, wow!). We stopped @ Dunkin Donuts for an early morning snack on our way; almost had what we thought would be a run-in w/ local law enforcement...but it was not to be. I felt like we had our work cut out for us; considering that we were on our own; no David; and no Jeff. No crew. It was plainly obvious; following the first weekend, that without David and Jeff, we were going to be super busy. I think the trip north was about prepping ourselves mentally for this. We did have access to our cast as well, and we determined we would ask them for their assistance over the second weekend.

We walked in to find our cast up and moving. They found great enjoyment in the fact that they pegged me correctly for our arrival. Lester suspected I would be quite chipper; and I didn't disappoint. I walked through the door w/ a "Let's make a movie!"

Lester took on the role of camera log (doing quite well), and Johnny did a splendid job as "Slate Girl", the title I held on House of Black Wings.

We started off w/ Scene 15; just another bit of time with Margot listening to the family through the door; a bit of her guard coming down. We then moved onto the first morning in the script. Margot wakes up, fixes her hair and sees the lump that is Brit under the covers. Things are revealed to you and I (the audience), but Margot is left in the dark. Nifty.

You know what? I don't feel the need to recall the details here. I don't have the energy or memory capacity to do so anyway. Some of the highlights?

1. Clare and I woke up early morning (thanks to a call from Johnny) Sunday and quickly dressed. We grabbed the camera and ran outside. Fog, fog and more fog. Atmosphere galore. You can't buy that kind of fog. Well, you could, but not on my "budget". We got some of the same shots we had from the week before; just w/ a magnificent sky full of haze. Nice. We even left the camera facing the field; put an umbrella over it and hauled ass into the field to have a bit more zombie action. Mine and Clare's cameos. Sweet. It really turned out great; a bit of movement in the distant fog.

2. Scene 4, mentioned above is the first morning. Some very creepy shots of Brit as the covers are pulled from her; and some nice bitchy-sister lines from Johnelle. A bit of movement in the background from Brit under the bed, and we've got some spooky stuff. :)

3. In the evening, we got some nice shots outside; for the establishing moments of the film. Johnny held the umbrella over the camera; while Johnelle and I communicated via cell phone to capture the action. Lester and Serena actually appear a bit more; as we see them moving about the house, before we move up to the window (a beautiful shot by Clare) to see Margot stirring her yogurt. We moved two vehicles to lighten the outside of the house; and I think it worked nicely.

4. Lots of blood over the second weekend. Johnelle got the chance to step on a bloody rug (courtesy of jill-of-all-trades Clare) over and over again. We also shot the final moments of the film; which I will leave as a surprise. Let's just say that Johnny had some cleaning up to do on his lower half once we were completed. I'm sure his legs were pink for days. He turned a healthy, girlish pink for his art. What a trooper! I was also supposed to appear in this bit; but the hallway was simply not large enough. I was to show up in my costume from House of Black Wings; as a bit of an homage to David's work. Alas.

5. On Sunday, we got a few extra shots to be used in other scenes; since we didn't have Serena for the prior weekend (for those scenes). A little tribute shot to Halloween, and some nice shadow lighting by Clare completed scene 10. We also had the opportunity to use Serena's foot (which made for some glorious blooper footage) as she steps on the ill-fated graham crackers.

6. Our final day ended w/ Clare setting up for our still shots. It'll be nice motif throughout the film; family photos that degenerate as the film progresses. Clare did a fantastic job. Her camera malfunctioned, and I thank the Gods that I had my digital camera along for the weekend. We also got all of the stills that we needed for the "dream/hallucination sequence"; a scene I'm dying to begin editing.

7. Another unprofessional, but apparently unavoidable breakdown on our final day. I felt as though the family was ready for us to depart; and I just wanted to get out of their hair (Serena made it clear that she's always happy to have me there, etc.), but I lost it; just as we were setting up for the family photos. All was well, following hugs, and Lester entering the room; wondering if I was acting. :) That tells you how good he thinks I am. Well, he's not all wrong. But, what I've always wanted to is direct. :)

8. The family headed off for dinner (they were all dressed up from their photo shoot; so why not?) as Clare and I packed all of the equipment, struck "Margot's" room, and packed up Suzie Q (Clare's car; for those of you w/ tricky memory).

I'm sure I've missed other details/fun moments, but I've let the time slip away. It was an absolute blast. I do remember that much. I also recall that the crew and cast worked their fannies off; and that my appreciation cannot be described in words. So, thanks to all, for honestly helping me make a dream come true. I just made a zombie movie. Hmmm...

SINCE THEN:

I have yet to begin editing. The other half has ordered some software and equipment; which should arrive in the next couple of days. I'm hoping to start capturing my 6+ hours of footage this weekend. I'm getting geared up for it. For a while there, I had other things going on, so this was completely on the back burner of my mind. I think I'm ready now. Let the games begin.

The other day, I received a voice mail from Johnny. It was about the sweetest thing I've ever heard. And, with my day job the way's it been lately, I'm sure it was a needed treat. It was just a quick message, wondering how the film was going and if I had any idea when it would be completed. It was in that apologetic, not sure what to say, but anxious tone of a kid (hopefully he won't read this, cuz he is 13...so not really a kid, but still sort of...). So, thanks Johnny for keeping the excitement alive.

I'll post more later on my progress w/ editing. Until then, I am calling my "diary" of the French Toast 5-day shoot; completed. Whew. Now back to my regularly scheduled nonsense blogging.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!