Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Old Time Movies

I didn't intend to watch movies all day. The other half went off to a rugby tournament; or soccer or something? I don't ask what he does on our usual Saturdays apart. Flipping channels; rather than working on items that need attention. Who cares? I worked my ass off @ work yesterday...hell I deserved a lazy day.

Lorenzo's Oil. I remember seeing this when it was released on video; so long ago (okay it was released in 1992...wait; that is a long time ago). I loved it. Cried alot; in awe @ Susan Sarandon. I think I've seen it only once in between then and now. Some of the visuals and angles were intense and unusual; in particular, the moment when the young girl runs in to tell about Lorenzo's bike accident; as well as the library dream sequence. What struck me most this time around, was how obsessed Michaela (Sarandon) became as time went on. I think I understood it more in previous viewings; or at least forgave her near-insane behavior. Now, I found her annoying; and certainly far beyond over-protective (I guess that's kudos to Sarandon for making me feel those things; and seeing so clearly her state of mind). Nick Nolte gave a good performance (that scene on the stairs soon after Lorenzo's diagnosis...wow!...also a nifty piece of editing), but I just didn't buy him w/ the Italian accent. Kathleen Wilhoite has some nice moments as well, particularly her reaction to Sarandon's "adverb" line. She's an actress I know has found continuous work over the years (remember her in Witchboard?); but has never found great fame. She certainly deserves it, but I suppose a quieter life still doing what you love and making a decent living is the more sensible way to go. I digress. I didn't get quite as emotional this viewing, but I still was moved by the tenacity of the Odone parents and the ridiculous acceptance of the other ALD parents. Also a spectacular soundtrack. Another plus, that I don't think would work everywhere, was the episodic nature of the film. So many jumps ahead in time; and many of the scenes were less than a minute. It would seem that this would keep you from being drawn in, but it did not. I would recommend this film if you haven't seen it. A quick plot? Lorenzo is diagnosed w/ a very rare (and unfashionable) disease that his parents work tirelessly; @ the expense of everything else in their life; to find a cure for. This is a true story. Sarandon was nominated for an Oscar as Lorenzo's mom. The "fly away" Oscar clip is pure heart-wrenching gold.

A second movie this evening; found while just flipping channels; was Cujo. I remember loving this film when I first saw it...in my horror film teenage hey-day. Is scared the be-Jesus out of me back then. While some of it doesn't hold up (I don't much care for the soundtrack), there are some genuinely horrifying moments; as well as very cool shots. I really enjoy the moment when Donna (Dee Wallace Stone; an exhausting performance...in a good way of course) finally breaks out the back window to retreive Tad. It's a slow motion shot; with Stone's expression so primal and base. Goosebumps! The scariest moment is seeing Donna wake up from their first night in the car; to find Cujo staring @ her through the driver's side window. Spooky! Danny Pintauro also deserves heaps of credit for his work. The place this poor kid had to find...scary. No wonder he turned out gay! Tacky? You bet. :)

That is all.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!