Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Another "You've Got to Be F***ing Kidding Me" Moments

Brought to you by the stupidity that is 21st century humanity.

Check out this link. For the love of all that's holy...

If I had been taken aside and suspended for some of my drawings and stories (My classic short story; House of the Dead, was written when I was 10) in grade school, I never would have returned to classes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071020/ap_on_re_us/gun_drawing_suspension

1 comment:

Always Around Kids said...

Couple of things here:

*We're only hearing what the mother of the child presented to the media. We don't know what the child said to the other child on the bus. (For example, if the child who made the drawing wasn't actually talking about a water gun and made a threat, then that can trigger consequences. And what a child says and what a child goes home and tells their parents can be two different things.)

*We don't know what the rules of the school state. If the school district wrote rules that are overly sticky, then the staff has to implement pretty draconian consequences for a minor offense.

IMHO, I think that Mom is presenting to the media what she wants them to hear. My hunch is that the child probably made a direct threat to the other child in order for the drawing to ramp up to a suspension. And the school district can't comment/present their side due to FERPA (federal law on privacy of school records).

One of the big differences I see between the elementary school WE went to and schools today is the way that some parents ramp up decisions that they aren't happy with. And they can go to the media and present their interpretation of events (accurate or not) while we have to be quiet. I don't ever remember school behavioral decisions being questioned by parents when we were kids the way they are routinely scrutinized today.

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!