Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Concerns about the Living Dead #32

All's quiet on the zombie front...

So much zombie-related material, I think I'm about to explode...in my head-ly region. Yeah, um...okay.

First, as I stated before, Ready to Go (the "contest" version) has been uploaded to MySpace; and as of today (I believe) it was added to the archives of the George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead page contest area. We are official. At last check, we have gotten 6 comments; all good; and even one from a complete stranger. Since you are able to rank/vote on your favorites; all of my friends voted right away; giving us 89-90% out of 100%. Since we've appeared in the "archives" section, we've dropped down to about 70%. My guess is that; since you can vote numerous times; that there could be sabotage; or more likely; that my subtle take on the zombie genre doesn't sit well w/ most viewers. The majority of the entries (I believe there are about 360 of them) are knock down, drag out, exploding head zombie flicks. Most have narration (keeping in touch w/ Diary of the Dead's style); and most have chase scenes. There's a great deal of bad acting, not much in the way of story; and some that are just plain not worth your time. However, out of the 25 or so that I've watched; there have been some pretty good ones. The problem I'm seeing; is that many technically great ones; have no story, or vice versa. I haven't seen one that completely blew me away...even the ones that seemed to have some budget behind them. In addition, there are several that are clearly trailers for larger films. I don't think that was the call. I wonder if those will still be considered. However, kudos must be given to all who participated. It's nice to see so many zombie fans out there; willing to take some time to really show their true colors. Zombies do; indeed, rule.

Also on the Ready to Go front, I've not spent much time on the "director's cut" of the film as of late. I revisited it again today; and to use the new term I've learned from mentor David (director of HOBW), I have gained "picture lock". I think my long, tedious process of editing French Toast has allowed me to speed through the process on this latest project. My viewing today found me making a few cuts; but overall...it's done. I will be emailing the footage to sound guy Adam; and looking for completion in the very near future; on the "director's cut". Wow, that was fast!

Moving back in time, I'm this close to calling French Toast complete. I was able to access the final soundtrack from sound guy Adam; and found only 3 items that needed updating. Anything else that I found; if only a bit noticeable; was left alone. In addition, I've decided against pursuing any visual effects for the film. I feel I've laid the film to rest in my brain; and I want to focus on getting it seen; and to move ahead on Ready to Go and other projects. The visual effects would have accentuated certain things, but they're not critical to the story. I'm just chalking it up to experience; and putting it to bed. Besides; w/ our time in Chicago quickly dwindling away, other matters need more attention. Once I get the corrected items from sound guy Adam, French Toast...WILL BE DONE. I find it a bit hard to believe. The shoot for this film was a year ago...already. Strange..

Again, the voting for Ready to Go and all the other zombie shorts in the Diary of the Dead contest will end on Friday. The winners will be announced on March 21st. All of my avid readers of 0; if you do not have MySpace, join it; make your page private so you don't get riff raff; and go vote for the film. Thanks!

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!