Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

"Were the blasted 'Chopsticks' on the plate, or off?"

The past two days were the shoot dates for the Columbia College grad student film, Chopsticks. This was referenced in a previous entry.

My, my, my, my, my. A tremendously fun and exhausting experience. My few experiences in the world of film, have been with directors that flew by the seat of their pants. Most of these were rewarding, and the fact that the director did most of the work had its own charm and challenges.

I have never been on a location where there was an actual full crew and dollies and multiple set ups and long breaks as the next set up was completed and set dressers and craft service and...well the list goes on and on. This was by no means a "professional" shoot, but it is the closest I have ever experienced. Then again, if I have never been involved in another one, how would I know? Maybe the Hollywood big shots are less organized and more feisty. These folks were on the money and on the ball.

As in past experiences, I loved the moment of the director calling, "Action!" There is something exciting and scary about that moment, as if you can never go back and fix something if you happen to screw it up. Being in this frame of mind and situation only confirms my abilities (obviously modesty is not high on the list) and that this is what I am meant to do. I feel wonderful performing in front of the camera. It is hard to reach a certain, emotional place w/out the beneficial build of theatre, but it is this challenge that makes the process interesting.

I love to be pampered, called "the talent", have my makeup done, lose myself in the moments between "Action!" and "Cut!", try to remember whether I had the blasted chopsticks on the plate, or off the plate. So many things.

I had several moments of panic over the past two days. The director would run us through the next setup, and then the whole process before calling "Action!" would give me a bit of doubt. "Do I start this section?" "If so, what the hell is the line?" Panic attack city. I never once missed it though. "Sound, ready?" "Camera, ready?" "Roll sound." "Speed." "Roll camera." "Speed." "Mark." "and...Action!" Thrilling, each and every time.

The vibe on the set was always positive and my fellow actors were a delight. I have never worked with a child on film, and have never worked with an older gentleman on film. Both were extremely talented and light hearted. I believe we had very good chemistry. (For readers of my previous blog on Chopsticks, we did choose the third kid.)

I am anxious for the edited project, and look forward to getting it seen.

Best anecdote of the shoot: Young Master Chris, the dude playing my son, was told, by me, to please say his line quicker, so that I would not have to take a bite of the food on my plate. You see, we had the same food for two days, and by the end of the first day, it was already an unpleasant sight and odor. I am to teach him how to use the chopsticks, and he comes in with a line that he doesn't want to use them. He thought it would be humorous to hold his line just a smidge, so that the pepper on the end of my chopsticks would be able to enter my mouth. Well, it was not completely vomitous, but it did allow for a nasty aftertaste. The little smart-ass had a shit-eating grin on his face for the rest of the take. So, I am sure director Chris will not be able to use that footage. Well Young Master Chris, I bribed the director. Your punishment will be delivered in the editing room. :)

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!