Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Film Sequences I Love

Something Wild is on Comedy Central right now. For those not in the know; it's a road movie; made in '86 by Jonathan Demme (the guy behind Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia). It's one of my all time favorites, cuz it's offbeat and filled w/ great performances and a super soundtrack. I don't particularly consider it a "comedy"; especially as I watch the final moments of Ray breaking into Charlie's house. It's intense and by no means some sort of hidden, tongue-in-cheek, laughable violence. I'm not reading it wrong. I think it's the whole package that makes the final fight so brilliant; the editing, the music, the set up (the water spraying around the bathroom is jarring and uncomfortable). I don't care what anyone says; Melanie Griffith is a good actress; especially in this film and most definitely in those final moments. Equally as good is Ray Liotta and Jeff Daniels. While the majority of the movie is kooky and fun, this scene is horrifying and realistic. The actors completely sell it. The close-ups of Charlie and Ray in Ray's last moments alive are raw and creepy. In the background is Lulu (Audrey) sobbing. It's all so heart-wrenching. Wow. A wonderful piece of filmmaking and totally unexpected in an already spectacular film that up to that point was relatively light.

1 comment:

klugula said...

I'm glad to know someone else who appreciates this little known gem. I was pretty shocked to see it on Comedy Central too. Just doesn't seem to fit. It's too moody to be a true "comedy".

I love that scene. He's trying to play secret agent and he's just not very good at it.

Haven't seen Paradise. What is it?

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!