Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Behold! I Have Found the White Trash & Nerd Mecca

On Sunday, friends Lauren and Steve invited the other half and I to attend the Bristol Renaissance Fair in southeastern Wisconsin. I did not want to go at first, but not because I was sure I would be turned back into a full-fledged nerd (I admit I am still a nerd, but not to the same ridiculous degree I was back in middle and senior high school). I was just not up for anything except sitting on my duff doing little to nothing. We met them for breakfast and were told it was free admission and free stuff and they would be driving us there. Okay, why not? So we picked up Lauren's second cousin; a 7 year old named Harrison, and we were then on our way. The food was fun, and we were able to see "Moonie", a handsome and very talented magician/comedian/performer (his business card says actor/entertainer). Even Steve was picked out of the audience to help out with the act. Quite a hoot. It was clear to me that "Moonie" was not of the same stock that the rest of the servers/wenches/barkeeps/"street" performers seemed to be cut from. He did this as a job, not as a lifestyle. Perhaps that is why I appreciated his work so much. He was not a nerd, with his mind somewhere off in the Middle Ages, when in reality, he was living in his parent's basement. We got some fun free souvenirs to remember our journey there; and we had free admission. I would not pay to go back there, thus I am glad my first experience was a freebie. It was a large event, much larger than I had anticipated, and it was actually quite impressive. However, most of the traveling acts and service folks seemed to be trying to hard, and it was plainly obvious to me that they were not actors. What saddened me is that it seemed most of them believed themselves to be so. Admittedly, they were very young. I was brought back to my days of doing local theatre in the summers; back in SD. We all thought we were legit actors, and it was a grand ole' time. I guess these folks are just doing the same thing. So, my initial qualm w/ them is retracted. We missed the jousting competition, as our young ward became ill, and we had to depart the grounds early. My prior entry about stinky smokers mentioned a trashy fellow who could not resist his nicotine fix, even in the First Aid area. It was here. Finally, I have never seen such a large contingency of obviously white trash people in one place. It was swarming with them. Of course, with the white trash, come the "I can't help myself; he's actually hot" trashy young men. It pains me to admit it, but there were several. At any rate, a good time was had by all; even little Harrison, who left a few pieces of himself back on one of the many paths. Good times.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!