Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Updating the Girl Down the Street

Whatever.

Some fun things of the past few weeks.

A bit over a week ago, I completed a solid first draft of my short film script...now going by the name French Toast. Two days later, I was @ my chosen location, reading through the script with my cast. I've chosen the semi-farmhouse location of friends Serena and Lester. They will basically be playing themselves; while their 3 children will be playing the couple's 3 children. Quite a stretch. I was quite pleased w/ our initial read throughs, and was calmed by the fact that I think they can all pull it off nicely. Most of my weekend was spent hanging out w/ the family in my so-called Rancho Relaxo. My lead is Johnelle (I hope I'm spelling that right). Along with her sister Brittany, they are (with the exception of Lester's back and some well-placed extras) the only actors to actually appear in the film. Serena and son Johnny will only be offering their voices; and of course, their support. Gack! On Saturday of my weekend up north, I was able to work for about an hour w/ Brittany and Johnelle. I haven't been in a "directing" capacity since college, and I find it suits me. Whether I'm really any good will remain to be seen. But I guess, a level of comfort working w/ the actors gives me some hope. I feel good in this position. I'm very excited.

On the technical front, friend Chris (AD on HOBW) has agreed to let me use his super camera for my weekend shoot. His security is that Clare will be my DP; as she was on HOBW, so she already is intimately familiar w/ his equipment (hee hee). He did, however, offer a reality check.

Chris: How long is your script?
Me: About 15 pages.
Chris: That's about 7 pages a day.
Me: Yeah.
Chris: That's pretty ambitious.

That stopped me for a moment. Would a 15 page script be possible in one weekend? I guess we'll soon see.

Also, friend David (director on HOBW) told Clare that he would get whatever equipment he could to assist in our weekend insanity. So, the technical side seems to be shaping up nicely.

I need to solidify a weekend for the shoot; now knowing that the majority of the cast will be available any weekend of March. I just have to let them know when. I also must confirm w/ DP Clare and locate a third crew person; that might be available.

I've begun setting up a shot list (I won't even try storyboards @ this time). It's hard. When I've written things in the past (namely Sid's Apple), I picture it as it is happening on a grand scale, not particular shots or angles, etc. It will take some getting used to. So far, so good.

Clare and I have another production meeting this next Saturday. I hope we are where we need to be. Not that I really have any experience to know the difference. Alas.

The cast/family has agreed to gather a few extras.

I took several photos of the location/specific places w/in the house. I then emailed them all to Clare. She already has some shots in mind. We'll discuss next week.

I'm hoping I get some more rehearsal time w/ the actors. Perhaps one more weekend in February, I can head up there for just such a task.

Lester and Serena are in the music biz. Lester already suggested we use their contacts/artists to do the score. I'm all about that. Just need the details.

Yes, things seem to be moving along. Just think, if all continues to run so smoothly, I will have my first film under my belt in a few months. Crazy, isn't it?

There is one thing that plagues my thoughts. I have absolutely ZERO idea on how I will do post-production. I have no editing software or facilities. One day at a time, I guess.

One other thing. I need to draft release forms/contracts for the actors/extras, etc. It's all a great big learning process. Time marches on; so I must get underway.

Up today? Reshoots for House of Black Wings. The weather outside is frightful. I have to go out in this? Ugh. It will be nice to reconnect w/ all of the film folks again. Yeah!

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!