Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"French Toast" Day Three

Here we are again. Why do I feel like this is such a chore? It is time consuming; especially if I want to include as many details as I want or that my memory will allow. But, it should be a joy recounting this milestone in my life...yet, here I am bitching that I am blogging while on television; Sanjaya takes the stage...hmm.

Something I started to notice by this point in the shoot (perhaps a tad earlier), was what thoughts swirled in my brain while we worked the day away. Nothing (and I mean nothing) but the shoot and the process...problem solving, cutting shots, how's my lead doing, etc. filled my head. When I would have a brief flash back to "reality", I would think about how nothing in my life was there...no day job, no money woes, no other half, no worry over my constant bodily functions. The only "stress" I could see was related to the creation of my baby. I could get used to this. I really could.

We awoke after our second night in our pseudo-Night of the Living Dead farmhouse quarters. Up first thing in the morning; extras/zombies; and plenty of stress trying to get the outdoor stuff completed quickly. We didn't want to draw attention to our project. The house is on a major highway (not good for dialogue scenes either...alas). We got showered and set. It was a chilly, but gloriously sunny morning. The extras; Richard, Lilly and Fonz showed up on time (thank you). Throw in the fantastic David from behind the camera; and Johnny (he never truly appears in the film; and was dying to be a zombie extra; so what the hell?) and we had our 5 zombies. We all helped ourselves to another patented Lester food spread; fruit/bagels/juice. Poor Richard was expecting a pancake breakfast. I don't know who promised him such a luxury; it wasn't me. Hmmm. We got everyone out on the lawn, got some fabulous lumbering zombie shots in the field outside the house; and then moved the camera inside; using our cell phones (high tech film equipment) to call "action" @ the appropriate times and for other such "filmy" business. I don't know what that means either. Johnny graciously fell to the dirty earth to be the "dragging-himself-on-the-ground-zombie". Everyone else had awesome zombie walks, but Fonz must be given special mention for his stiff legged-arm flailing creation. Kudos! Clare did her usual wonderful bits w/ the camera (not that she's being taken for granted; I would just never expect anything other than brilliant from this gal!). The zombie bits will certainly be a highlight of the film. Once I returned indoors to view the footage shot from the upstairs window (Margot's room), I had a moment of, "I'm actually making a zombie movie". I believe I paid due credit to my zombie filmmaker predecessors w/ these shots. Fun, stumbling zombies in a vast field. Cliche, but it had to be done.

While we were outside, we got some establishing shots of the house; one of which will be used for the final shot in the film (not exactly what I had envisioned, but I think it will suffice...sacrifice; I know ye well).

The extras were released; and I had to print out a quick release for them before they left the premises (one of the few items I actually forgot about...ahem). We then moved inside to complete our day. Jesus, what did we do here? Oh yeah. I know we completed the big fight scene as Margot races upstairs to find Brit. A couple of bits of trivia here. One shot that we concocted (okay, mostly Clare), turned out brilliantly...a seamless transition from one room to another while following Margot. Very nice. You'll have to see it to love it like I do. We then did several shots/angles for the big fight scene. Johnelle (as Margot) was nothing short of brilliant in these shots. Easily, it will be her standout moment. Some amazing ad libbing. David (who agreed to take on this task last minute; as I failed to ask him for his assistance prior...well I asked him the day before) became fight choreographer; making sure that the girls (as much as they really wanted to hurt one another) were safe and clear on each movement. It was quite believeable and Brit's nasty-creepy sis was pretty icky too. We got some nice close-ups of Brit going for a bite @ Margot's neck. Here was another milestone in the process...my first goose-bumps. The first angle we shot was amazing. It all came together so well, I did get goosebumps; and found myself gritting my teeth and getting quite involved in what was happening. It was like watching a movie. Good thing I guess.

The next scene was a bit difficult; as Johnelle seemed to have lost some of her energy from the previous fight scene (not that I blame her). I think more than that; her antsy-ness was due to the fact that boyfriend Richard was still around. Again, what sane 15 year old wants to work when her sweetie is in the next room; and it's a beautiful day out; and she has one day before she has to go back to school. She did well however; and we were moving nicely toward the end of our day. We ended the third day w/ some spinning around Margot as she turned. Hopefully it will be a nice effect for the "fainting" scene. Overall, I was quite happy w/ how things were progressing. The challenge would soon be more clear; as the second weekend approached. David and Jeff would not be able to return for a second bout of shooting; so Clare and I would be on our own...dear Lord. More on the final 2 days of shooting...soon.

Anyway, we packed up our stuff. Jeff had driven himself to the location; so we parted ways there. Clare, David and I said our goodbyes to the cast and headed off into the sunset. It was still early; and I was grateful for that. We had come in ahead of schedule. The trip back to the city was uneventful; just full of chatter; about how the weekend had gone; and about upcoming things for David's House of Black Wings. We dropped David off; and unloaded his items (most of his stuff was left @ the location; we still needed it after all). Clare and I then retired to a nearby diner for a bite to eat. We sat there for a good couple of hours; and talked about the next weekend, past artistic endeavors and what-not. The strangest part of the weekend? As we were gabbing, I broke down in tears. I'm still not sure why; the stress of the weekend, the fact that I was in the middle of making a dream come true (God, how stupid does that sound; but true nonetheless), what? It should be known that I will cry @ the drop of a hat when watching a sad or emotional movie, but I don't generally just break down. Hmmm. Anyway, Clare laughed @ me and we went on. (not really; she was very supportive; explaining that this was "my baby" and I was exhausted). I dropped Clare and her stuff off; and returned home, to park the French Toast Mobile, regale the other half w/ the insanity of the weekend, including showing him some footage, and get ready to pass out. But wait, there's more! I had to drop off the camera to its rightful owner; one Chris Hyatt. He needed it for a project the next morning. So, I dragged my weary self to his place and happily delivered it to him. I returned home...again and then I don't remember what happened. Sleep? Dreaming? Kicking the other half as I slept? Who knows. The next morning, I had to be up by 6am to return the French Toast Mobile. I did so, and then had a quick breakfast w/ the other half. I then accepted the sleep and relaxation that was bestowed upon me by the gods; for I had in all of my great knowledge; taken the day off from work. Oh heavens, thank you for this sleep and the fun/wackiness that made me need it so much. Stay tuned for the John Ritter 80's classic, Stay Tuned...or just wait for French Toast Day Four...

later.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!