Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Let's All Go to the Lobby

A few movies of the past weeks; that I've neglected to discuss. Here it goes folks, those brilliant klugula brand movie "reviews" that you've all come to hate. Strap yourselves in...

I Saw What You Did. A late film in the career of Joan Crawford; which actually has some good scares; and a wonderful sense of cheese (it is a William Castle production after all). Joan's part could have been played by anyone at all; which makes her obvious paycheck collection on this role all the more pathetic. Of course, she brings some class to the production (not to mention some fabulous jewelry); despite its absurd premise and quite bad dialogue. But, the question is...did I like it? Of course I did! What a silly question. The music was hysterical (straight out of The Patty Duke Show); and the lead actress (another good reminder of my bad reviewing skills; I can't remember her name) looked and talked like my friend Tina. Prank phone calls gone awry...before caller ID. Very fun time.

Queen Bee. Another late entry in Joan Crawford's career. This one was actually good; in a "real" way; whatever that means. Her role as Eva let her show her ultimate bitchiness (an apparent inspiration for the film version of Mommie Dearest). Upon completion of our viewing, I did some reading up on the film. Friends of Crawford had stated that "Eva" was very close to the real Joan. There's scandal, adultery, suicide and Joan chewing the scenery in the most extravagant gowns. This is a great gem; which inspired us to dig through our film collection for more Joan. What did we find; that we hadn't already seen? Yes, I Saw What You Did. We're on the prowl for more Joan. Can't get enough of that crazy talented (alleged) child-abusing Joan. A couple of other tidbits. Betsy Palmer appears in a supporting role. She's tall, blonde, statuesque; and quite a good actress. What do I know her from? Why, she's Mrs. Voorhees from Friday the 13th. Who knew? Well, I did...now...after the fact. And, the best line from the film comes from Eva (pronounced "Ee-vuh" for those that are curious). "I don't like to insist." Long Crawford pause. "But I insist." Brilliant!

Poseidon. We hadn't seen this since the theatre. Still a great time; and still a treat that they don't waste time w/ character development. 10 minutes; and here comes the wave. That's it. Some screaming @ the screen ensued; followed by some drool-infested ogling of Josh Lucas and Kurt Russell. It's a good time @ the movies; or at home; as was the case here.

The Sound of Music. My first time. After much nagging...I'm sorry... persuasion from the other half; I agreed to go see this film in Grant Park; downtown; for this season's final film in Chicago's Outdoor Film Series. It was a long day yesterday; and I wasn't in the mood. Well, I ended up going; having a great time and enjoying those around me who clearly knew the film from top to bottom. I loved, loved, loved this film. Of course I knew most of the songs, some of the story; and many of the "classic" moments. I was entranced by Julie Andrews, in love with her secret love of the Captain, unable to keep myself from smiling @ every musical number, dabbing @ the corners of my eyes when Maria returned to the Von Trapp home; and to her destiny, googly-eyed @ the "So Long, Farewell" number, and on edge during the heated escape from the Nazis. I can finally see what all of the fuss is. It never appealed to me, although it was never clear why. Who knew Christopher Plummer was so handsome in his younger days? I guess it all comes down to my feeling @ the conclusion of the film...as "Climb Every Mountain" roared over the crowd gathered in the park; watching the Von Trapp family discover their new lives over the border. I wanted to get up from my back-gouging lawn chair; make my way to the nearest hill (where would that be); and do just as the song insisted. What's taken me so long to find this adorable, hypnotic treat? I'm in love...that's it...I'm in love. I just met a girl named Maria (wait, wrong musical).

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!