Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Friday, October 26, 2007

The Interview

How fun was this? I'm putting up the links to my interview with Dr. AC, Fool for Blood on Myspace. In addition, I'll put the text of the questions and answers; just in case the links don't work properly. Another big thanks to AC for letting me be a part of his horror kingdom!

Here is the text; and below that; the links; where you can go and make comments or ask adt'l questions of me! Nifty!

__________________________________
AC: Greetings, boys and ghouls, ladies and germs! It's time for another installment of Fool's (inter)Views, where the everyday horror fan is as important as any $20-an-autograph-charging horror celebrity. Today our illustrious guest is:

Michael Klug of Not My Mess Films (
www.klugula.com and www.myspace.com/notmymessfilms) and he will be happy to respond to any additional questions or comments from readers, so feel free to take notes and grill him afterwards.

Welcome, good sir!

MK: I'm super thrilled to join you!

AC: Sweet, I don't think we've ever gotten a "super thrilled" before. We'll see if that still stands by the time we get to the end. Now, you're a filmmaker and you have a horror short that you're currently working on, correct? Is this your first horror effort, or have there been others?

MK: I've been an actor since childhood, and last year I was cast in a supporting role in an indie horror flick entitled House of Black Wings (from Sword and Cloak Productions). I had recently finished my first screenplay (a zombie feature called "Sid's Apple"). I had submitted to a few competitions, with no luck. I decided that I would have to find a way to produce "Sid" myself…although I had no idea of how to start. Well, along came House of Black Wings. The actor info sheet asked if I would be interested in working crew as well. As was the norm, I marked a solid "NO". After all, I'm an actor, not a technician. Really! Anyhoo, it dawned on me that I should take this opportunity to learn the ropes behind the scenes. I crewed for the entire shoot (3 months), thus my crash course in filmmaking was completed. Immense knowledge (and a bolder appreciation for the wackiness that is crew work); in addition to valuable friendships were the fruits of these efforts. I had an absolute blast! Inspiration.

AC: Dude, that sounds awesome! What is the status of House these days? Have you seen a rough cut or anything? I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I know the S&C folks – Where are they based? And heck, where are you, while we're at it?

MK: I just recently saw the rough cut, and I am so pumped for David (director) and for all of us that were involved. Even with no sound effects, no music and no visual effects, it really works. Very suspenseful, great performances (including yours truly) and some great "boo" moments. David and Sword and Cloak are right here in Chicago…as is Not My Mess films…and lil' ol' me.

AC: Thought so, but my ol' lizard brain is not to be trusted. Anyway, sorry to interrupt. You were saying?

MK: Immediately I set to work on my first horror film (or a film of any kind for that matter). I penned a 20-page script called French Toast. Anyone that knows me was shocked to learn that it was a zombie film. Based on my friend David's (the director of House of Black Wings) advice of "Start with what you know you have," I built the story around the rural home of best friend Serena. I then cast her entire family (husband and three teenage children) as my on-screen family. By the end of March '07, production was completed, I was now a director (weird), and was now up against the new challenge of first-time editing. Currently, I am nearing a final cut, working with a musician on the score, and searching for a visual effects master and sound designer. Never in my life did I think I would find something I loved more than acting…but this new journey has been enlightening, exciting and educational. I've found a new calling.


AC: Dude, I absolutely know the feeling, what with the whole HORROR 101 experience. Funny how the doors of opportunity and inspiration fly open when you least expect it, eh? So, where does the horror enter into it? Which came first, love of acting or love of horror?

MK: Love of horror has been with me since I was ten years old. The first big story I wrote was a ten pager entitled, "House of the Dead". Horror films followed soon after. During my high school years, my horror kindred spirit and best friend Eric worked with me to create our own horror shorts. No training, no knowledge. Only the love of horror. We started with a laughable slasher flick and moved quickly into zombies. I think it started back then, cuz we just wanted to be part of something we loved. I guess that's still true today.


AC: What does your upcoming week hold for you?

MK: Currently, I'm unemployed (and happy to be away from my previous day job), thus my daily routine consists of household chores, getting outside, working on my new feature screenplay (I'm very excited about it!) and banging my head against the wall, trying to clean up the sound on French Toast. This week, I'll be meeting with potential sound and visual effects designers (to the rescue!) I just heard back from the gentleman working on the score, and I should have some more tracks tomorrow. Woo hoo! Is this a typical week? Trying to keep cabin fever at bay, while hoping the creative juices will continue to flow…desperately wanting to use this downtime to my creative advantage? Yeah, that's a typical week in unemployment. Lord.


AC: What's on the horizon? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

MK: All I've ever wanted, no matter what time frame I'm given, is the freedom and the money to be creative every day. Whether I'm acting, directing or writing…that doesn't really matter. I want to have a fun lifestyle and not have to go to a dreadful day job. Isn't that what most artists want? Freedom from "the man," and time to create…but not starve to death in the process? On the horizon, I want to complete my latest screenplay and begin submitting. In addition, "Sid's Apple" is up; once French Toast is completed (whatever that means!). I told myself that I would be in pre-production on "Sid" by year's end. That might only mean beginning shot lists and making further cuts to move onto a shooting script, but it's putting it into motion. I don't have a producer (this one will require a budget), but I figure by pulling the trigger, the universe will line up the rest.


AC: Leap and the net will appear, my friend. Excellent. What was the first movie (doesn't have to be a horror flick) was that made a big impression on you?

MK: There were many that moved me at a young age. Of course, the original Star Wars trilogy was a group of biggies. How could they not be? I saw Revenge of the Nerds in the theatre when I was ten (thanks Dad!) and that certainly had an impact; not only for the plentiful nudity, but also for the startling realization that I was "one of them". I once told my older, jock brother that I was almost tearful by the "We Are the Champions" triumphant ending. His reply? "Of course you are. You're a nerd."

The film with the biggest impact was easily Day of the Dead. I first saw it when I was about 11 or 12, when it was released on video. Since that night, zombies have fascinated me, terrified me and haunted my dreams. I recall covering my eyes and ears from the time that McDermott and Sarah enter the corral until Sarah wakes up on the beach. I cried the whole time. I've seen this film easily over 1000 times, and I know it by heart. So basically, I've been obsessed with this film; anything Romero and indeed zombies in general for the past 20 years. Romero signs every autograph with "Stay Scared." Got it covered, George, thanks!


AC: Good picks! My favorite moment from Revenge…Nerds is when either Anthony Edwards or Robert Carradine (can't remember which) says to the beautiful people, "There's more of us than there are of you." I constantly say that in reference to horror fans, even if it's just wishful thinking. Can you tell us the last 10 movies you watched, and give us your personal rating from 1-10?

MK:
The Fountain—gorgeous…great performances…9/10
A Prairie Home Companion—The word out of my mouth when the credits rolled? "Lovely." 9/10.
The Resurrected—Wonderfully awful, but wonderful creatures and a very tense basement sequence…6 or 7/10.
Disturbia— Fun fluff. 8/10.
Behind the Mask— LOVED IT. 10/10.
Pretty Persuasion—Evan Rachel Wood…Oscar bound. 8/10.
Three Kings—Finally saw it…worth the hype. 9/10.
Poltergeist—25th Anniversary—horrible quality, but my first time on the big screen, so I overlooked all of the problems. An all time favorite…10/10.
Resident Evil: Extinction—Crappy fun, not as good as its predecessors…7/10.
Dawn of the Dead (2004): Another of my all time favorites. It's always on cable, so I always watch it. 9/10.

AC: I gotta say, those are some pretty high marks overall, although of the films I've seen, I would probably only differ by a point or two. Do you think you tend to be generous with your ratings, or was this just a really good week? In other words, how harsh of a critic are you?

MK: I don't think I'm a very harsh critic. I give most films the benefit of the doubt. No matter how bad it may be, I'm always able to find something positive within. It may be a line delivery, one particular shot, or an actor's facial expressions (and that may be it!). Either these minute moments of brilliance in a dreadful film are real, or I'm just trying to convince myself that I haven't just wasted two hours of my life. I believe this ability is a rare gift.

AC: Also, just because our previous interviewee, Dave Kosanke, gave Behind the Mask a 1/10, what is it that you loved about the film? It, along with Rob Zombie's Halloween, seem to be the big dividing lines in recent horror flicks. People either love 'em or hate 'em.


MK: I've yet to see the new Halloween and frankly I'm a bit apprehensive. This trend of remakes is beginning to irritate me (even though some of them have been worthwhile). I thought the idea for Behind the Mask was original, and pulled off quite well, up until the format changed, and we were thrust into an actual "slasher" film. Prior to that, it was a treat. I think the performances and writing were super, but it was the fact that only true horror film fans could actually "get" what it was doing, that made it so entertaining. I can't imagine your average moviegoer finding all of the little in-jokes, or responding in the same way as an avid horrorphile would. It was nice to be in on it. The film was almost a Waiting for Guffman for horror films.

AC: So, you admit that you had issues with it (the ending), but you still give it a perfect score? How does that work?

MK: Okay, you got me. I'll change my score to a 9 1/2. It was jarring and not a perfect switch, but it was still a serviceable slasher film in the final moments. Besides, all of the good before overpowers the lesser third act. I was just so jazzed by the rest, that the problem I had didn't mar my love for it when all was said and done.

AC: Fair enough. I actually liked the film myself, but hadn't seen it when I interviewed Dave. Can you tell us the last goal you achieved (artistic or otherwise), and a couple that are on your "short list?"

MK: Last goal achieved: A rough cut of French Toast. On the short list, I want to set "Sid's Apple" into motion and complete my latest screenplay.


AC: What have you done for the horror genre lately?

MK: Continued my daily worship of all things horrific, hemmed and hawed about surviving a zombie outbreak, and my two unproduced screenplays are fun new takes on the zombie subgenre. At least I think so.


AC: Nicely answered! Looking forward to seeing them someday. Tell us your favorite close encounter story with a horror celebrity.

MK: I'll quickly state that I had an awkward conversation with Chris Romero (George's wife). I think she was afraid of me, cuz I was so nervous. I just explained to her how much I appreciated George's "family" style filmmaking. He uses the same people over and over, and I thought that was very respectable. I also met George for the first time that evening. Modest, kind, tall guy. Another time, I was attending the Pittsburgh premiere of Land of the Dead. Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino were in attendance as well. Well, I arrived at the after-party, and was walking up the stairs as Robert and Quentin were coming down. I paused as they went by and asked "Mr. Tarantino, could I get a photograph?" His response? "No man, I'm partying." With tail between legs, I moved quickly toward the buffet.

My favorite encounter was with Lori Cardille (Day of the Dead). I chatted with her about her "Oscar moment" (after cutting off Miguel's arm) and how truthful I found it to be. She asked if I was an actor and we chatted a bit on that. She told me that she did not have a copy of Day of the Dead at home, and when people would ask to see it, she would have to run to the store to pick up a copy. The next day I returned to the convention with one of my many extra copies of the film. I offered it to her and she asked that I sign it…so, of course I did. She then gave me a free copy of her book; signed to me. It was a most thrilling moment. To see her in person; this amazing actress from my all time fave…Never to be forgotten. I found her address online (does that make me a stalker?—perhaps) and sent her a copy of our photo together. Since then, I've sent her a Christmas card every year. Don't worry, it's included in the 120 I send annually to family and friends…I'm not singling her out…Be afraid, be very afraid??? I guess.

AC: I guess the real question is, does she send you one back? I've never met Ms. Cardille in person, but from numerous accounts and what I've seen in interviews, she's quite the terrific and gracious lady. Who are some of your favorite horror icons, and why?

MK I was first infatuated with Freddy in my teens. He was my man back in the day. As I've matured, I've developed a great appreciation for Romero. He is, after all, the king of the zombies, and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think or worry about the zombie apocalypse. He's put me on edge each day of my life since 1985. Again, thanks George.


AC: He's one of the titans of modern horror, no question about it. My buddy Rusty Nails is finishing up his documentary about the great man (www.georgeromerodoc.com), and I think it's gonna be a hit. Okay, last question: I'm a newbie to the horror genre, and I've never seen a horror flick from before 1995. Where should I start?

MK: Check out the classics. I've not personally seen all of the greats (I know, my horror fan card should be revoked), but I love Caligari, Nosferatu and of the Universal characters, I adore The Wolf Man. Passing up all of the classics between Universal's heyday and 1968, we come to Night of the Living Dead. My faves are Romero's original zombie trilogy. Brilliant, disturbing, comical, amazing effects. They're the best out there. But that's just me.

AC: Well said, well said. I want to thank you so much for joining us, and I invite others to post any other questions they might have for Michael below in the comments and he'll tag you back. Any last thoughts?

MK: Just want to give you a heaping helping of thanks for chatting with me and for being so genuine about your love of horror. I've always been proud to be an "outcast" in my love of horror, and it's comforting to know that there are so many others out there. Now, how do I get a signed copy of your book?

AC: Seeing as how we're both in the Windy City limits, I'm sure we can work something out. (*fishes out a fiver for the plug*) Thanks again!

__________________________________



& Here is the link...

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=86939144&blogID=322607928&indicate=1

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!