Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Journey to the Dark Side is Complete

My journey to complete the "virtual" audition for the horror film The Gauntlet has reached its conclusion. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the requirements for this strange casting call (of course, every Tom, Dick and Susie put in their two cents and some not-so-great acting to boot--it's basically another version of American Idol; many aspiring actors with no basis in reality...regarding their acting talents, etc.), included a video of the actor answering several questions about their history, acting background, etc. I completed that several weeks ago, ending with a 5+ minute video of me babbling endlessly about everything...or at least as much of everything I could fit into that time frame. The second part was to film a scene from the script (there were about 8 sides to choose from; and only one seemed fitting for me); and provide a reel of past work. I put together about 7 minutes of footage from such work as The Intervention, House of Black Wings, Chopsticks and Twelve Ones. Perhaps a bit too long, but whatever. I completed that tonight and uploaded it to "yippi.com". For those that don't know, it's basically another Friendster or MySpace. It's also the place where The Gauntlet has set up for their virtual auditions. Well, I've been putting off filming for the audition scene; mostly cuz I didn't know who to use as my scene partner, who to help out w/ the filming of it, etc. Well, I take that back, I knew who to help me w/ the filming; but everyone's so darn busy. The other half suggested that I choose friend Serena's daughter; Brittany (also one of my actors from French Toast) to play opposite me. Let's take a moment here to set up what the scene is all about, shall we? It's a two page scene in which I would be playing a sleazy record executive; taking advantage of a naive young musician. Well, Brit (and yes, her parents as well) agreed to do the scene w/ me. All was set up. I met w/ friend David (director of HOBW) so that I might take possession of his light kits, etc; on Wednesday. Friday night, I had a fabulous time (read: wretched) driving to BFE to pick up Brit from the train station; brought her home, had some dinner and then started working on the scene. The scene involves some "attempted" making out. I figured I would have to make this all as sleazy as possible, so the topper would be a lick on her neck. This was all known to Brit as well as her folks, so we're okay here. Plus, let's remember that I'm uber-gay...does nothing for me. Whew. However, since Brit is basically like a niece to me, this was going to be awkward no matter how we prepared. The next morning, we shot the 2 pages in about 4 hours. I had to set up the lights (which is why the final product isn't the greatest; light-wise); and the other half shot most of the footage (doing a great job; as well as helping with the props). I think Brit and I did a great job in the parts; and we only had to shoot the kissing/licking her neck moment twice. Brit had some very real moments; and I believe she could do well as an actor if she wanted to pursue it...perhaps just some training to take advantage of what seem to be very good instincts. I had on a suit, with a big collared shirt sticking out the top, ridiculously spiked hair. The topper? I shaved my beard, leaving only a moustache. I was sleazy...no way around it. I had set all day tomorrow (Monday) aside to edit. Well, I'm already done and have uploaded the final cut (about 2 minutes) to "yippi.com". It's not great sound or lighting, but I'm happy with it. Based on some of the other auditions for the film I've seen on the site, I feel confident that I have a better product; not to mention a better performance. The bottom line; whether I hear back or not, is that I didn't let it slip by. I did it, so I'll never have to wonder what would have happened if I never completed it.

For those that are reading this (my avid readers of 0), should I post my audition tape to MySpace as well, so you can all see it? What about my reel? Let me know. Later, y'all.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!