Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Monday, February 25, 2008

Sometimes I bleed...

As with so many other entries, I don't understand what my title means; in relation to the blog's contents. My head is a mush full of film quotes; and I never know what will come out when I sit down in front of the computer to update the world (i.e. my avid readers of 0). Today's random quote to title a blog, is brought to you by The Others. Now, on w/ the show.

I haven't blogged in what seems like ages. So much has been going on in the past week or so, any free time I've had has been used to sit and pick my nose. You can see the fix I've been in. I'll start from the most recent.

Last night, I was at work from 5pm to 1:30am, performing the "floor set". In this case, we were prepping the store for the upcoming outdoor season. Yes, in February. Filling the place w/ outdoor furniture, candles, umbrellas, bug zappers, beach towels, etc. Now, to me, it seems like a bad case of wishful thinking. Who are we kidding? However, the lively colors do add a bit of cheer to the space, even as you can see beyond the windows the dirty slush/snow, and the looming snowstorm clouds past that. Nifty. But, I'll take it. My final question is, if I am able to attain the gig in the Scottdale AZ store, do they sell their outdoor stuff year round? A question for the ages.

Speaking of that job, still no word. I was able to confirm that my resume and cheeky cover letter were received, but that the manager was still conversing w/ the District Manager about me. They will have to do an interview; either phone or in person. Frankly, the phone interview seems more likely; as flying south for an hour doesn't strike me as cost effective. However, I will be there in a bit over a month. Also, I was told by my big boss here in Chicago...I hope I'm quoting her correctly...that she "gave me her stamp of approval". Something like that. Moving on.

Moving on, I say? We are currently scheduled to vacate the premises on the last day of March. It's close folks. Do we have an offer on the place? Not on your life. Plenty; and I do mean, PLENTY of looky-loos. C'mon, even in a buyer's market, are we not on the top of the list? Our condo is awesome. Of course, the majority of the folks comin' through, have children; and our spiral staircase is not meant for such small people. Ugh. Although, everyone has given feedback that our place is well decorated, great fixtures, etc. What's up? Keep your fingers crossed, or better yet, do you have any friends looking to relocate to Chicago, or move to a 2 BR/1.1 BA place in the Lakeview? With parking even? If so, get 'em on the horn...pronto. Thanks.

I'm sure the big question on everyone's mind is, "where is French Toast?" Funny you should ask, cuz it's still not completed. My sound guy (the lovely Adam) has provided me w/ a couple of final soundtracks to input into my cut. I couldn't access one; and he said that that was the most updated. Still trucking along on this; although quite beyond wanting to see it completed. While I am still happy w/ the results, working on a new film has opened my eyes to many of the issues w/ my first attempt behind the camera. I guess that means I'm learning/growing. Can't complain about that.

I'm loving my segues here. Enjoy them. They won't last forever.

Speaking of my second film, Ready to Go is far from it. Hee. We finished shooting a week ago; in the morning. Our second day (a week ago yesterday) was quite interesting. We had the zombie extras on board for a short feeding in the morning. My thanks to Greg Larson, Deb Webb, Jeff Daube, Shin Matsuo and Chaio-Hsing Lin for their capable zombie-ing. In addition, good friend Karyn Morris was on hand to play my wife's dead hand in the final moments. Clare Martin (jill of all trades) was on hand to do her magic in lighting/shooting; and in makeup. The other half was also around...hissing @ everyone, but also helpful as usual. Once the zombies were released, we shot Karyn's stuff. She was then on her way to a free afternoon, leaving Clare, the other half and myself alone. We knocked it all out, and were done w/ our day by 7pm. Sound guy Adam arrived to pick up the raw footage from the first weekend. We then shipped out to him the second day's stuff early in the week. Monday morning, Clare, the other half and I completed the remaining shots of me in the hallway...the other half providing his final services as hallway zombie. It was a wrap!

Well, you all recall (I'm sure) that I was already on my way to a far-to-long cut of the film. I was just under 6 minutes after our first shoot day; and I was expecting to have a 10 minute film once all was said and done. I did get a rough cut by Monday afternoon; and yes it was 10 minutes long. What was the time limit for the Romero contest? Oh yes, I remember. 3 MINUTES. What the f*** was I thinking? Well, as the week went on, I returned all of the film equipment to friend and mentor, David (director of House of Black Wings), and showed he and his super-girl, Sonnett; the rough cut. A few suggestions and many compliments; my favorite was seeing Sonnett folding clothes as it began; and seeing no further folding as the film progressed. I think it actually captured her. Super! Well; at that time, my hope would be that the short version would be just as enrapturing. Hmmm.

Today I forwarded the final cut for the contest to sound guy Adam. It is exactly 3 minutes; and I really don't know what to say. I've learned a lesson; certainly. While it's not perfect (far from it), I think it still gives some of the power of the longer (director's cut) version. Much is lost; as I had to cut several scenes altogether; and shorten every other section. It was painful. By mid last week, I had cut 4 minutes; leaving 6 total. It dawned on me that I would still have to cut HALF of the remaining running time. Our weekend was busy, thus I was able to cut those final 3 minutes yesterday. It took me four hours to do so. I'm not super happy w/ it; and am certainly looking forward to "picture lock" (a word I recently learned from mentor David) on the director's cut. There's so much in there; I have a feeling it will do well. On a positive note, some of the cuts I HAD to make on the contest version, will end up in the longer version; just cuz they worked so well. It's due on Friday; so I will be seeing Adam Thursday to finalize the soundtrack. Oh, and we have decided on the contest version (at least), there will be no music/score. Frankly, there's just no room for it.

Other weekend events.

On Saturday, my big boss had a party for co-workers and her friends. It was really a great chance to get to know many of my fellow employees; in a relaxed, "let's all have a drink" setting. I must say, it was a total blast. Great spread of food, lots to drink, and fun conversation. Plus, my secret (athough not so secret now) crush was among the attendees. The evening w/ him allowed for a strange dream once I returned home; and into my slumber. While I've only been working w/ these folks for 4 months, I've really come to like them. I find it odd that among the thirty or so employees/managers, there's not one that I dislike. That has to be some kind of record! I'm bummed that I'm leaving them; just as I'm beginning to bond. It also made me feel good that so many of them have been commenting on how they are sad to see me go. Feeling loved is nifty.

Friday night, I was over to jill-of-all-trades; Clare's place. I bought her dinner; and in exchange, she helped me create some new business cards. We had a wonderful time hanging out, exchanging farting stories; and concocting what I think is a very sleek, elegant business card. I needed them for the next day you see.

It was Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors; and I was scheduled to appear...okay, not really. I was just scheduled to show up, fork over a lot of cash and get in to hobknob w/ the horror celebs. I didn't have much cash, so I basically got in (that's for Ryan Harris and Joel Liestman), and bought only two pieces of memorabilia. I was also able to see friend and mentor, David; at his table; touting his wares w/ the new (might I say...AWESOME) trailer for House of Black Wings. I appear 4 times (yes, I was counting) and I ended up getting third billing. Thanks, David! Our table was quite a sight; considering that he (and fellow table renter; Bob Cappaletto--good Lord, the spelling!) had a 42 inch plasma showing their footage; while those around had tiny littly "college dormitory" televisions. It definitely stood out. I was asked to sit @ the table while they went away to lunch. I was there for a bit over an hour, and got to chat up the film w/ anyone that showed interest. It was fun, and I look forward to attending these conventions when, A) I have lots of money to spend; and B) when I am there as a bona fide horror celebrity in my own right. It'll be fun! Well, I also saw Dr. AC (Aaron Christenson) while I was there. Chatted w/ him; and met the head honcho behind Kitley's Crypt. He introduced me as a filmmaker; which I still feel strange when that happens. Anyway... I met Betsy Palmer (Mrs. Voorhees; the original killer of Friday the 13th). She was absolutely lovely, and I think, quite pleased that I brought up one of her earlier films; Queen Bee. It's a Joan Crawford vehicle that the other half and I saw just a few months ago. Betsy is a secondary lead, and quite good to boot. I'm sure I was the only person to bring up something like that. Yeah, me! She regailed me with stories about Joan. Joan and she were close friends up until Joan died. Also, Joan was jealous of Betsy; cuz Betsy was an accomplished stage actor as well. Joan couldn't understand how Betsy was able to memorize all of her lines when appearing on stage. Ah, the inside scoop. Betsy was a dear woman. I chose one of her old "studio" shots for her to autograph. A great keepsake. In addition, I chatted a great deal with Harry Manfredini; the music maestro behind most of the Friday the 13th films; as well as much more. I was saddened to find that he did not have a copy of the soundtrack for one of my all time great guilty pleasures, Slaughter High. He took the time to tell me why; as well as impart other great tales of his time in the business. I told him I would call on him when I was working on my next film...assuming I will have a budget for said film. He seemed agreeable to it; and I left him one of my cards. David's co-hort, Bob, was also a great guy. David's always spoken very highly of him; and I was able to see the trailer for his upcoming release, Pickman's Muse. Some great visuals; and Bob told me that one of the most fascinating shots was actually a minature. Movie magic folks! I also left a card w/ Bob, and told him that if he needed actors for his upcoming projects, I was available. Hey, there's no room for modesty in this showbiz world. Right? Right.

The Gauntlet. They have still only cast 2 of the 8 roles thay had been seeking. No furhter word @ this time, but damn. Do you want to finish the film? If so, get casting and get shooting. I'm sure all of the other auditionees are as antsy as I!

That's about it for updates.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!