Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Unlucky in Love

I've watched Alien twice in the past week; and today on Encore, Aliens aired. Haven't watched in a while, but I was struck by some interesting things about the series. Here are some observations. Enjoy.

Ripley is indeed; unlucky in love. It's never completely revealed what Ripley's relationship w/ Dallas is, but c'mon...something's going on there. That's loss number one. Then, of course, her blossoming love with Hicks is left to bask in the glow of the sleep chambers at the end of part two...until he gets smashed in the wreckage in the third chapter's opening moments. Then as chapter 3 goes on, she meets, bonds, and sleeps with Clemens (Charles Dance). He falls victim to the alien. I won't go into Alien: Resurrection; cuz it wasn't really her; and that chapter's better left under the rug. (Then again; what about her relationship w/ Call; the android? Hmm.) So what is it about our beloved heroine? Is she destined to be unhappy? Sure, she keeps running into those slimy bastards; that's her destiny, but why can't she find some closure/longevity in her love life? It can be argued that she had the most intimate involvement with Dallas; since we meet her well into their "relationship". I'm curious as to how deeply they connected; prior to our "arrival". I feel certain that Hicks would have been her final match...her equal...her soulmate; had he not been so carelessly tossed away. She's a character I so adore, each new loss (including of course, Newt) is a blow to my own self.

The other half and I were discussing Ripley as we watched Aliens today. She is undoubtedly; one of the most fascinating characters ever written. Her journey so easily captures us. What struck me today; was that when things go to hell upon her return to LV-426, although she's calm, collected and a brilliant leader; I think she's become mentally unstable. Not in the way that she is haunted by the events that transpired aboard the Nostromo; but that she has become quite...loony. I don't know what brought me to this conclusion today. I mean, I've seen this film hundreds of times; and have never had this thought. Am I wrong? How could she possibly remain so calm in the face of this complete disaster? I know she keeps face for the sake of Newt, but what holds her together so completely? More than just strength and survival instincts? Could she be so far off of her rocker; that the events unfolding around her; have little effect? I mean, c'mon, it's a great idea (story-wise) to have her go after Newt in the second to last ending sequence. It's bold, effective, tense, and introduces us to the Alien Queen. It's all needed, but (perhaps the mothers reading my entry can comment) would she really have gone to the lengths to get a child that wasn't hers; unless she was mentally unstable at some indescribable level? Of course, there is the piece in the director's cut that explains the death of Ripley's child in her 57 year absence. Even without that; there is a genuine chemistry between Ripley and Newt. I get it. It works. But, would a sane person risk everything to go get a child they met the day before; defying common sense; and the time limit clearly set by the pending nuclear explosion? Ripley even says to the soldiers (after the first alien encounter) that the living soldiers in the hands of the creatures, can't be helped. "They're in there being cocooned; just like the others." If that were the case, why is Newt so special? Couldn't the soldiers have been saved; just like Newt? There was still time. Ripley tells the truth when it suits her. She's some kind of hypocrite, making up the time lines that the aliens may use; but changing it when someone she loves is on the line. Hmmm. Lying. Deceiving. Mental illness. I don't know.

Next up...Michael Biehn as Hicks; is absolutely appetizing. Yum.

The sound design in Aliens (and of course; its predecessor) is simply amazing. I really noticed it today as Ripley got on the elevator to go find Newt. All of the hissing, wind, hot pipes, falling debris, the flares, etc. It's so deep and detailed. Quite amazing. In addition, all of the special effects hold up very well. This film is 22 years old; and before the computer effects revolution. It remains brilliant in every way.

Anyway, I've babbled on for long enough. Suffice to say, Alien and Aliens remain tops on my fave movies list. How can they not. This many years later, they can still jump me from my seat; and offer new insights w/ each new viewing. Not all movies can do that. Later.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!