Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

That One's My Favorite--Slaughter High



This is a brand new series I'm throwing into my blogging mix. It joins the much beloved "Stew of Sin" series, the "Concerns about the Living Dead" entries, and the "I Want That" set; still in its infancy.

I'm going to post a trailer (assuming I can find all of them); for all of my favorite movies. I figured I'd start w/ Slaughter High...well, cuz why not? It's a doozie of a movie. Horrible acting, bad dialogue, plentiful (and awful) nudity, cheap effects and one hell of a good chase scene. It was originally called April Fool's Day, but that pretty darn decent Fred Walton movie beat it to the punch. Thus the classy Slaughter High was taken instead. You'll recognize no one; except for the lead actress--former Bond girl, Caroline Munro. Oh, and you'll recognize the score; as it comes from Friday the 13th composer; Harry Manfredini...and sounds nice and similar (i.e. EXACTLY LIKE) the music from your fave Friday the 13th howler.

I will also attempt to give some details on my viewings of these films in each entry. How's that?

I first saw Slaughter High with my friend Mike; during a sleepover. It was during my horror hey-day; where I would see anything and everything that came my way; as far as horror films. I liked it, but didn't LOVE it. The next morning, horror nerd friend, Eric called me. "Had I seen it? Did I LOVE it?" Well, since I was so squishy with opinions when I was a pre-teen, we quickly made it one of our tops. Since then, I've seen it well over a hundred times (I think I'm being quite restrained in that figure--I actually have no clue). I currently only have the film recorded from HBO on a quickly deteriorating VHS tape. Although, I do believe I did transfer it to DVD. However, I learned from friend Eric; that it was recently released on DVD (hopefully w/ lots of extras)...but I have yet to spot it; order it...or sadly; afford it.

Here's how it will work. I'm stealing from my now-defunct "klugula.com" website. I had three categories for my favorite movies. All of my choices and the categories they end up in; are up for debate (which I welcome), but for now...this is how it will go.

Category One--My Fave Movies. These are the movies which I absolutely adore, and which would be considered "legitimately quality films". Big budgets, Oscar winners, studio films, good production values...etc.

Category Two--My Fave Stinkers. These are the movies which I absolutely adore, and which would be considered "total crap". I know they're awful, but I can't help loving them. They're cheap, have bad acting and were probably critical and box office bombs; if they weren't already direct-to-video pathetics.

Category Three--My Fave Diamonds. Called that; cuz they are what I consider "Diamonds in the Rough". A few prerequisites to attain this status. You've never heard of it. You've heard of it--maybe even seen it--but have less than fond memories of it. I say it deserves a second chance. Finally, a movie you may have heard of (but all bad reviews), but in which I found something worthwhile. I'm saying "Give it a shot!"

Finally, the title of this new blog series comes from a young girl I once heard at a 4th of July fireworks event; many years ago. Every single flash in the sky ended with her saying, "That one's my favorite". While I shunned her at the time, wondering how EVERY SINGLE ONE could possibly be her "favorite", I now see that it is possible...even for me; at least where movies are concerned. My list is ever-expanding...including a few films I have seen only once, but which so moved me; that it simply had to be added to the list.

So, off we go. Enjoy...and I hope I inspire you to see something new.

BTW, don't blame me. If you hate my recommendations, I can't get you that time back, so what are we left with, eh? Anger? Frustration? Blame? Negativity can kill, y'know. That is all.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!