Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Last night, I dreamed I held you in my arms..."

Do you know this quote? Even if you do, this is its origin.

Since last night, I've been trying to find this quote in my pop culture-infused brain. It seemed ideal for my state of mind...and until 5 minutes ago, it eluded me.

It's from The Simpsons; the classic episode in which Bart buys Radioactive Man #1 with Milhouse and my beloved Martin; and chaos ensues.

I had the inkling of this quote as I looked through my mail; upon arriving home. I had a notice from the post office, that they tried to deliver a LARGE ENVELOPE; CERTIFIED MAIL.

The note said it was from "WME2". Well, I recognized those letters; in that order--and confirmed it online. It's from William Morris Endeavor. "WME2" is their logo/abbreviation. Needless to say, I was a little excited. For those that don't know, William Morris is one of the end-all/be-all agencies in the biz...or so I'm told. What the hell do I know?

Well, my first thought is...would they send a rejection letter; certified mail in a large envelope; especially since I had provided the necessary SASE? Would they?

My second (highly irrational) thought was that they represent Simon Baker (one of the main characters in my script; which the query letters were marketing), and were sending some "cease and desist" letter; i.e. "stop writing about our client without his permission or we'll take legal action". That train of thought then lead to; "Well, wouldn't a letter like that come from an actual law office, then?" Lord.

So, I set about to call some friends; for two reasons...to ask legitimately if they knew what this meant, and also to have them push me into my immediate rationalization that this was A BIG DEAL.

Friend Michael let me know; after our initial conversation, that he checked on this online. Apparently, to keep themselves protected in plagiarism scenarios, some agencies send certified rejection letters. Okay, that brought me back down to earth a bit.

The other realistic info came from friend Justin. He had apparently received rejection letters; which had been certified and "pretty". In his situation; he couldn't understand why they took the time and expense. Okay.

Today, friend James suggested, "a paid rejection letter?" Still some hope?

So, while I hope it could be something AWESOME, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it's a rejection letter...albeit in sugar-coated packaging. A frame-able piece! :)

In a matter of 12 hours; as I make my way to the Wilcox Post Office, the tale will be told.

My last bit of hope that it could be something more than a rejection; is the fact that it's marked as "large envelope". A rejection letter is only one page. Would a letter with bad news be flat/unfolded and in a big old manila envelope? I don't know.

So, we come back to my quote from The Simpsons. For a few fleeting moments, before dream-killing reality set in..."Last night, I dreamed I held you (a script request) in my arms..."

More on this tomorrow.

That is all.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!