Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

My Evening with Simon Baker

Friend Justin (who is SAG), received word that the SAG Foundation was having a new guest in their "Conversations" series; down on Wilshire. He called me on Friday to see if I wanted to go as his guest. However, I had to finagle some changes in my work schedule to make it happen. So I called him Sunday to let him know it was a go. He already had other plans, before he called me initially. So, he was willing to come to the event, get me in, and then be on his way. The event? A showing of an episode of The Mentalist...followed by an hour and a half Q&A w/ none other than Simon Baker.

For those not in the know, the script I've been working on for the past two years (and am currently past a fourth draft) is called "Me & Simon Baker".

So, in my usual naive fashion, I spent yesterday morning reading through my fourth draft, confirming it was good for Simon's eyes, got a nice copy from the good folks @ Davco (on Sunset/Highland--where I go for all of my copying needs), and packed it into my satchel for the evening. Now, I know I'm prone to wishing too hard for a break and an opportunity, almost to the point of leaving reality behind, and this was certainly no exception. I felt stupid, but decided to be prepared; in case things took a wonderful, unexpected turn.

In my mind, I was hoping that Simon's wife (actress Rebecca Rigg--from one of my all time favorite films Fortress--not the one w/ Christopher Lambert) might be in attendance. Two reasons...clearly she would be more approachable, as she's not as well known as her husband, and also, I've written a part for her in the script. If she liked it, she might pass it along to her husband...say after dinner @ their home. ;)

Again, I know how ridiculous I'm being, but I always have in the back of my head, "Why couldn't it happen this way?" Right?

Anyway, I arrived @ the location, spoke w/ friend Justin for a matter of seconds, and then took his spot in line; as he made a hasty retreat. He suggested that I pass myself off as him, in order to get in. It is a SAG event folks, and I was only a guest. Well, the woman came down the line and said to have your SAG cards ready. Okay. I was wondering if I should have slinked away, but I was bold beyond my usual "let's not rock the boat" attitude. I got to the front of the line, told the woman that I was on the waiting list, but that my friend had to run out for an emergency (which he didn't of course). There was Justin's name on the list, and below that, "Justin M.--Guest". She was fine giving me a ticket for the waiting list; so I took my spot...#5. A matter of seconds later, the regular line was thinning out, and a woman asked me if I wanted to come in as her guest, as her guest had cancelled. Of course, I took her up on it, and we had a great chat about everything from The Amazing Race, to me giving a brief pitch about my script.

Caryl is an actress (mainly theatre) and was a very sweet Suzanne Pleshette look-a-like. We sat next to one another for the event.

It was a surpisingly intimate space, and I was a mere 20 feet from the front.

They showed one episode of The Mentalist, and it was actually quite good. I doubt it'll be taking up residence in our DVR, but it was nice to see Simon @ his best.

The showing was followed by the Q&A w/ Simon.

First things first. He's as adorable in person as he is on screen. He was wearing a pair of glasses that made him look even more dashing.

I'll cut to the chase here. I didn't get to meet him. His wife wasn't in attendance. I didn't get to pitch my script to them, and certainly didn't get to pass on my newly printed script either.

However, the evening was an amazing one. Simon's a very deep guy, and although my script's version of him is just that...a character, I have some things to mull over while digging into my 5th draft. In addition to fiddling a bit w/ his character, I got a great line from him that will certainly find a place in the ending of my piece.

He's very passionate about acting, and one of his anecdotes (his audition for LA Confidential) brought him (and me) to near tears. He talked about how he wandered outside the Warner Bros. lot; an hour before his audition...wondering what the hell he was doing, second guessing himself, putting himself down, and basically just undermining his talents. I started to tear up, as those thoughts could have come from my very own brain. How often do I wonder what I'm doing, and question myself at every turn. It was a nice connection for me...

I'm sure everyone else in the room felt the same connection to this tale; as I did...but it was special to me nonetheless.

The other quote I took away from the Q&A was, "Opportunity knocks once, then it moves on." It also struck a chord w/ me, as I was mere moments from running away, the moment it looked like things might be difficult getting into the event.

It may be stupid (it IS stupid--there's that self doubt), but I was proud of myself for going, for staying and for taking away as much as I did.

Justin had told me that a prior "Conversations" event; w/ Greg Kinnear, found an attendee blatantly asking Greg during the Q&A how he would get a copy of a script to him; as it had been WRITTEN for him. Apparently Greg said to just pass it off to him @ the end of the event. Of course, this was going through my brain all day long. Again, I was naive but hopeful. Anyway, questions were to be submitted via note cards, so there was no opportunity (knocks once, then moves on) for me to get a word in.

On the way to the event, as I sat on the bus listening to Lady Gaga, I thought about the scene in Defending Your Life. It's the scene where Albert Brooks has to get up in front a crowd and publically speak for the first time. He got out there, stood in a silent stupor...and was then saved by a fire alarm. The room of people in front of him cleared out. He never tried it again. He was going to do it, but let the opportunity pass him by. I was thinking about my chance to ask the question of Simon (the Greg Kinnear question); regardless of how crazy or ridiculous I would have looked. I felt comfortable in the space, and I had a newfound friend in Caryl. I think that if the moment would have arisen, I would have asked the tacky question, "How can I get a script to you; that has been written for you specifically?"

Simon had an early call this morning, so he did not stick around for autographs or a meet and greet. For a moment it looked like he was going to, and I made my way up to the front. But just as I got in line, he was whisked away.

I called Justin and thanked him for all he had done to get me into the event. I believe it was an invaluable evening.

BTW, Caryl gave me her card, and I will be forwarding a synopsis of the Baker script. She told me that her brother is a producer, and she'd be happy to forward my info to him. Nice. Real nice.

What a special evening...

Finally, I had an inspiration on the bus ride home (all worked out so well; even down to the fact that I caught the bus on the way home--no delay--showed up to the bus stop when I did).

Anyway...the other half and I have lately been watching a great deal of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America. His quirky, fun promotions to get the pubs and restuarants packed for their grand re-opening are quite inspirational. I'm reminded of his promotion "Campaign for Real Gravy" in an older episode. I was wondering if there would be a way to start up a campaign along the lines of "DO YOU KNOW SIMON BAKER?" Who knows him? Who can get me in touch w/ him? Who can get past the red tape of the Hollywood machine? How can I get my script into his hands via fringe methods?

Whether or not I follow through on something like this, remains to be seen. But it is on the back burner of my brain for a possible scheme down the road.

There's a motif in the Baker script which perfectly fits last night's events. As my character Michael finds his way into Simon's life, and becomes closer to him as the scripts events unfold--there is a visual of a mall map/directory. One of the large anchor stores is called "Simon's Arms". The "you are here" notation gets closer and closer to the store; as the story goes on. I feel like last night got the real Michael much closer to the real Simon (even though I didn't meet Simon) and it was all a step up, a move ahead and a rousing success.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you can thank yourself as well. You were at the end of the Waiting List line and spoke right up when I asked if anyone wanted to come in with me, everyone else just stared. I love your idea of a "campaign" to get the script to Simon. Do it. He touched a special place in me as well. I have told everyone who will listen how sensitive, smart and double handsome he is. Look forward to reading your attachment but I enjoyed your blog first. Believe.
Your new friend,
Caryl

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!