Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Review

I haven't done holiday update letters (via snail mail) in a good long many years (4 perhaps?). There are a # of reasons. One: Basically everyone I know is on Facebook, so they know what goes on w/ my life; right down to the completely boring, who-gives-a-shit details. Two: I'm one lazy-ass mo'fo'.


So, what are some of the highlights of this past year?

Let's start off w/ the negative side of my life. Meaning--me. I am a sarcastic, ill-tempered sot and here are a few of my pet peeves which have been newly discovered this past year. 1) The other half and I will get into the car, and he will be driving. Just then (not while we're getting ready or while we're walking to the car in our garage) he'll notice that his sunglasses need a bit of cleaning, thus asking that I do it for him. He doesn't ask in a bad manner, he says please and thank you, but it still just irks me off. Too much time on my hands? Yes. 2) Work related (imagine that). We basically check for ID's for any credit card purchase. It still has yet to be made clear to me why the select few never have that requested ID on their person. Isn't that one of those things YOU NEVER LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT? I simply don't understand this one. What if you're hit by a car, offered a huge cash prize by some random sweepstakes nutball- if you would just show your ID? What would you do then? Can't imagine how or why folks would go anywhere w/ out it? Life's mysteries.

How's the writing been going? Well, some good, some lazy. Chris McCaleb and I finished (whatever that term means in a writer's brain--it's NEVER truly done) TONIGHT I SHALL LEASE YOUR SOUL. We had a reading early on in the year, and submitted about 100 query letters to agencies...so far no request to read the script. But we reached that big milestone. Not sure what is in the cards for "TISLYS" as we call it...but it sure ain't dead yet!

Speaking of Chris, we lost him and his dear wife Ami to a move cross country. Not a day goes by that I don't wish them back here, but everyone's got to go where life takes them. Miss you guys!

Last year, I began a new script based around THE ADDAMS FAMILY. This year found some progress, but not enough to call it done. I'm very fond of the idea and pleased with what I've gotten so far (40+ pages). My plan was to complete a rough draft by year's end (that gives me what? @ the current time--oh, about 11 hours to complete!), but another project came up, and that has taken more time.

Speaking of which--
Vanessa (an old hometown friend) and I, hooked up to create a project called THE 53 ZOMBIE MOODS: A BOOK FOR YOUR COFFEE TABLE. It's a coffee table book (as the title suggests) revolving around the moods of your every day zombie. We created a website, shot many sample and promo shots (Vanessa did the makeup and shot the stuff--and the ones she was in, the other half helped out) and launched a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds to make it all a reality. As of today, we have raised only 4oo bucks of our needed 10k amount, so we have a long way to go, with only 3 weeks left. I still have hope, but frankly, I'm a little discouraged at the lagging #s. I am already forumlating a plan B if Kickstarter and the possible investors don't come to fruition (BUT THEY WILL!) :) check out the website (and donate if you can) @ www.the53zombiemoods.com.

Much appreciated!

On the work front, I've now surpassed 3 years @ the Z. This also marked my 4th holiday season w/ the company. I've been rattling on to anyone who'll listen, about how I can't tell if this season has just been busier, or if I'm just more worn, or what...but DAMN, these holidays @ work have KICKED MY ASS! I'm thrilled that it's almost over, and then the dreaded inventory week begins soon. After that, we settle back into a normal schedule. But overall, I'm still happy @ the job and only slightly burned out (amazing for a retail gig that's lasted this long!)

The other half and I celebrated 12 years this June. Hardly seems possible, but we're still lugging along, switching places between absolute hatred for one another to not being able to function apart. He's so much a part of my life and my day, that when he went home to Puerto Rico to spend time w/ his mom, and finish up details on his late grandparents' estate, I fell into a frightening but temporary depression spiral. I realized that it had been 12 years together, where I was basically never alone. The longest time apart ever has been a week. This was a whole month! I hadn't been inside my own brain and alone w/ my own thoughts for such a long time. I didn't really know how to handle it. Perhaps a trip to therapy to examine such things, but for now...he's back and I can remain crazy in all of my other colorful ways.

The other half and I also did a good deal of travelling this year. Countless trips to Vegas (it's just so easy and with free hotels/food, etc, it's stupid NOT to go), a week long road trip to Reno/Lake Tahoe/Monterey), and a week long trip to Hawaii (my first--LOVED IT!, even though our bag was stolen from the beach on our last day there--leaving us w/ NO photos of our trip--phones were in the bag)...and of course, Elwood's solo trip to PR. Our plans next year are to get back home to SD. It's been forever, and I'm itching for some Black Hills.

It's coming up on 4 years since we left Chicago. That's also unbelievable, but I wouldn't change this location for anything...scratch that. Our ultimate dream is to transplant the City of Chicago (and all it's wonderfulness) to this location. Not that LA is a downer, but Chicago was a better city, but with much shittier weather. We're very happy here.

My 2012 New Year's resolutions will be forthcoming. I still must review last year's (discover what failings and successes I experienced) and then formulate my new plan of attack.

Oh yes, there's been a nice amount of celeb sightings @ work this year, including Hillary Swank (she was the biggie) and I've become sort of buddy/buddy w/ Ms. Angie Dickinson. Just some of the perks of the job. Keeps it interesting, for sure.

I wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year 2012!

This is the year to make it all happen!

Love to you all!

klugula

1 comment:

Sandy L said...

Enjoyed every word - you didn't even mention the big D. And what, no trip to NY in 2012? if you get to SD, you gotta stop by Minnesota, it's just one state away...

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!