Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Is It Called a "Test Screening"?

Friends Karyn and Mike had a pumpkin carving pre-Halloween party yesterday. The other half was not able to go; as the hosts have a kitty-cat. I was unsure if I would attend...one of those, "I don't want to go w/ out you" situations. I ended up going anyway. Great food, met some fun new people, saw some old friends, carved a jack-o-lantern, and shared in some good old-fashioned ghost story tellin'. I also copied my latest version of French Toast onto DVD and took it with, hoping to show Karyn (who has seen a prior cut) and Mike (who has seen none of it). Karyn convinced me (not that I wasn't anxious to show others; although I was quite nervous...after all, it's still not complete) to have a viewing. I gave some disclaimers before the viewing (perhaps a few too many). The host/hostess's DVD player would not accept my DVD, thus we showed it on Mike's laptop; which had a sound system that would be termed, "weak". So, the audience (about 10 people, most of whom I'd met that evening) gathered in close to watch the film and hear as much as they could. Most of the "outside the door" voice-over dialogue was lost. However, there seemed to be a genuine interest in the film, and I received many nice compliments. I was unsure, but apparently, this was the bit of pushing I needed to realize that I do have a pretty good product. Some shots received "oohs" and "aahs". I was told the film worked quite well on its visuals alone. Impressive. The acting was commended. The final few moments met with, "Don't do it", "Don't open the door", etc. As the credits rolled, one person said something along the lines of "nasty/creepy/sick". That's a good thing...believe me. Overall, this impromptu "test screening" was a success; despite the lack of good audio; or in some spots, any audio at all. This will allow me to finish the film (once I get the score and final bits together) with momentum. Feels like I've been floundering lately.

On another note, I've placed an ad on Craig's List for sound and visual effects assistance. Several responses, and a few seem promising. Next up is to meet the artists and determine if they are the ones to meet my needs. Good times. Could an actual viewing of the final product be far off? I hope not. Our time in Chicago could be ticking away.

Later.

No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!