Prepare to face the ultimate boredom...
an ongoing description of my life, loves, thoughts, fears, work and lustings.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

That One's My Favorite -- Fandango



Here I am, continuing my slow (but inevitable) crawl to making blog/note of my favorite films.  There are so damn many, this project will clearly end up being my life's work...just writing a short piece about why these films (wait, didn't I say I was going to call them "pictures" from now on--like old school Hollywood?) have so deeply infiltrated my brain and emotions.  Well, we are here to take a look at Fandango.  It's a picture from 1984 (released right in the middle of my movie madness as a youngster--which is why it's so strange that I did not discover this one until MUCH later in my life).  It's one of Kevin Costner's first flicks, and only a year prior to my other Costner love, American Flyers (I'm sure we'll cover this one sometime in the next 20 years or so--when I get around to it).

My other half introduced me to Fandango about 5-6 years ago, sometime during our final years in Chicago.  I knew very little about it, and certainly had no idea it was of the epic road trip movie variety, or that it was a coming-of-age tale, or that it would so touch me completely, that I would turn into a bawling babe, complete with shuddering body tremors of raw emotion.

There are some great performances here, including names Judd Nelson (a bit over-the-top in his neuroses but still good), a heart-breaking Costner (looking his matinee-idol handsomest--and we get a close-up shot of his junk in some nice blue-green with white piping briefs--TOTALLY worth it), a very young Suzy Amis, a brief appearance by Glenne Headley, and several other not-quite-household names, including Sam Robards (Jason's son--and son of Lauren Bacall) and Chuck Bush (in a very-understated but fantastically charming performance).  Elizabeth Daily (P W's main squeeze in Pee Wee's Big Adventure) makes a big fun impact as a young bimbo who conveniently shows up in the events of the film.

I won't bore you with a synopsis or other nonsense.  Check out IMDB or Wikipedia for such things.  What I'm most interested in, is relating how much this film "got me".  I am still trying to determine what it is about it that pulled me in so hard.  I was craving it the other day, so I sprang it upon the other half.  While it didn't hold the same surprise (to be discussed later) as the first time, it still turned me in to a big quivering pile of whale blubber.

SPOILERS ABOUND.

If you know the film, then you know that the woman who has been "left @ the altar" so to speak and who the Robards character is trying to run away from for the entire thing, is the same woman who the Costner character once loved (and clearly still does). Well, I'm never the sharpest crayon in the Crayola Caddy, so it didn't dawn on me until the moment Suzy Amis shows up @ the spontaneous wedding, that this was the case (the first time I saw it, obviously).

My first viewing of this moment, is when all of my emotions went into overdrive.  Certainly, the addition on the soundtrack of Pat Metheny's "It's for You" holds a great deal of credit for the power of this moment.  Even to this day, this music can lead me to tears...not only for the images it brings (of this piece of the film), but for it's own beauty.  But when I made the realization that this was his former girl, and then they dance the fandango, and the Chuck Rush character is clean-shaven and serving as minister and the forever hungover "Lester" (Brian Cesak) is finally awake and Robards says that they should dance and the town has come together and it's dark and the lights on the gazebo are glowing and we've come such a long way from the beginning of the film...my God.  It all comes together so beautifully, so achingly and so emotionally.

I don't know what it is that personally hits me here, but there's something.  Something deep.  Something true.

I realize I'm babbling here, but that is what this film does to me...after only two times.  

There have been only a handful of films which I added to my "fave" list, after only one viewing.  This is one of them.  Something so powerful, engaging and lovely.

I wonder if my pre-teen brain would have had the same reaction back in the day, had I watched it on HBO (my outlet for childhood movie madness), or if I was meant to see this when I did.

Also to be found here--some great sight gags, a splendid soundtrack (in addition to Metheny's offering), some photographic awesomeness in the plane sequences and good one-liners (I'm looking @ you, "Trelis"--Glenne Headley).

I ask that you check this one out.  Apparently it's gained a cult following, and it's no surprise. I hope you love it too!  Drink this kool-aid!

Fandango--That one's my favorite.




No comments:

a little bit 'bout klugula...

My photo
Hollywood, California, United States
I like zombies...A LOT.

Oh dear Lord! It's the klugulablog archives!